A master of science is a master’s degree in the field of science awarded by universities in many countries. A MS often enhances career opportunities as well as earning potential for graduates.
Universities in the USA demand that you have 16 years of previous education to be eligible for a graduate program in USA (MS in US and PhD).
So qualification of 10+2+ four year degree program like BE, Btech, BPhrarma, BPhysio etc ; 10+3 year diploma + 3 year degree; 10+2+ 3 year degree (Indian B.Sc)+ 2 year masters (M.Sc.) are eligible and valid for US universities. You should provide mark sheets from all your educational institutes or universities that you attended after your high-school to the U.S. Universities.
Master of Science degree is for studies in sciences, medicine and engineering focusing on scientific and mathematical subjects too.
The Master of Science degree is normally a full time two year degree often abbreviated as “MS” or “M.S.”. It is the fundamental type in most subjects and may be purely course based, purely research based or a combination of two. The combination often involves writing and vindicating a thesis or completing a research project which constitutes the apex of the material learned.
Various Fields Under Master Of Science
- Master of Science in computer
- Master of Science in accounting
- Master of Science in administration
- Master of Science in corporate communication
- Master of Science in project management
- Master of Science in economics
- Master of Science in engineering
- Master of Science in finance
- Master of Science in information systems
- Master of Science in information technology
- Master of Science in management
- Master of Science in nursing
- Master of Science in geographic information science and systems.
Exams You Need to Get Admission into an Master Of Science Course
Student’s applying for an MS course in US need to appear for the following exams. These exam scores help you secure the university of your choice. Like all other Post graduate Degrees, doing MS from the best university for a particular course stream really pays.
Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
The Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) is a standardized test that is an admissions requirement for most Graduate Schools in the United States. The GRE is administered by Educational Testing Service (ETS) created in 1949. According to ETS, the GRE aims to measure verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, analytical writing, and critical thinking skills that have been acquired over a long period of learning. The content of the GRE consists of algebra, geometry, arithmetic, and vocabulary.
Verbal Reasoning — Measures your ability to inspect and evaluate written material and synthesize information obtained from it, inspect relationships among component parts of sentences and recognize relationships among words and concepts.
- Quantitative reasoning — Measures problem-solving ability using basic concepts of arithmetic, algebra, geometry and data analysis.
- Analytical Writing — Measures critical thinking and analytical writing skills, specifically your ability to articulate and support complex ideas clearly and effectively.
GRE also has subject tests apart, from the basic GRE test. These subject tests help to make your application stand out from the rest by highlighting your subject knowledge and skill-level of a particular subject. Each subject test is intended for those students who have a bachelor’s degree in the particular disciplines. The subject tests being offered currently are Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Literature, Mathematics, Physics, and Psychology.
GRE General Test is offered as a computer-based exam. You need to book your GRE exam dates in advance. The importance of a GRE score can range from just being an admission formality to a major selection factor.
- For tests taken on or after July 1, 2016, scores are report able for five years following your test date. For example, scores for a test taken on July 3, 2017, arrive through July 2, 2022.
- For tests taken prior to July 1, 2016, scores are reportable for five years following the testing year in which you tested (July 1– June 30). For example, scores for a test taken on May 15, 2015, arrive through June 30, 2020.
- GRE scores achieved prior to July 2012 are no longer reportable. GRE scores achieved in July 2012 are reportable until June 30, 2018.
Master your GRE (Graduate Record Examination) test. Colleges make sure that the students are intelligent enough to finish the MS courses in due time and through good grades. It is learnt that usually the best students are unable to pass the GRE test. The test is not difficult, with time management and good coaching anybody can pass.
It decides whether you are fit for MS in USA Degree Program
The TOEFL is the most broadly accepted and admired English language test in the world recognized by 10,000 universities, colleges and agencies in more than 130 countries including Australia, Canada, U.K. and the United States. Since English is the primary language in America, it is necessary that the scholar applying for studying in the US should be fluent in English in both writing and talking. Hence, passing the language check has been made compulsory for candidates applying for post-graduation in the states. The exam is conducted at divergent centers and is announced prior to the admission procedures.
Criteria for University Acceptance for Master of Science Courses
Admission to an MS course in US university depends not just on the exam scores but a lot on the Application Package you send. The Application Package Contains the following
Statement Of Purpose (SOP) : This document is one of the most important and speaks about why you intend to enroll for a particular course.
Letter of Recommendation (LOR): You would typically seek 2-3 LOR’s from your Professors or employers.
Essays: Some Universities seek 2-3 Essays on topics of your interest.
Resume: Some Universities might seek your resume.
Academic Transcripts: Details of your academic qualifications
Scores: All your scores.
Check out the University list